RIVER FOREST, IL--The revision of the Constitutions of the friars in 1968 gave renewed emphasis to the Dominican family, declaring that all friars, sisters, nuns and laity "share the same common vocation and each, in its own special way, serves the mission of the Order in the world."
The Constitutions of 1968 which were adopted according to the instructions of
Vatican II at River Forest, Illinois represent the renewal and updating of the Order. The constitutions returned the Order to its traditional collegiality and subsidiarity, and respected the findings of modern psychology: the new Constitutions laid greater responsibility on the shoulders of each member for the well-being and action of the Order. The Constitutions received final confirmation at the general chapter of 1974.
Sister Mary Martin and Sister Anne Mary from the Dominican Monastery in Union City, New Jersey, established the Mt. Thabor Monastery after envisioning what a future contemplative mode of life would be within the monastic setting. A life that they saw was being effected by a changing society and a changing Church.
For the first three years the sisters lived in a single house which was converted into
a religious house. The Bishop gave immediate permission for the reservation of the Blessed Sacrament and local priests came on a regular basis to celebrate Mass. Funds were very scarce, but the Sisters earned whatever they could using their expertise of sewing. The city experience was rich in the witness given to the local people who often visited the little chapel and attended Mass. Three years passed until they moved into their present location in Ortonville, Michigan.
Initiatives for collaborative programs of initial formation began in 1976 with nationwide internovitiate conferences. These have led to the launching of a common novitiate for Dominican women, and a combined novitiate and Studium for friars of the St. Albert and St. Martin de Porres provinces.
1979 Province of St. Martin de Porres Established
NEW ORLEANS--In 1979 the friars of the eastern and central provinces collaborated in a foundation unique to the Order: the combination of their personnel and resources to form the southern province of St. Martin de Porres, centered at New Orleans. The friars of the new province launched their mission of preaching and teaching in the South with a verbal motif given by the Master of the Order: "A New Birth in Hope."
of the Dominican Family
In 1985 the North American groups welcomed lay Dominicans from all continents
to Montreal to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the founding of the Third Order in 1285. With a thrust toward the future they emphasized the elements of Dominican spirituality which many lay Catholics seek to live.
The monasteries of Dominican contemplative women initiated in 1983 the Conference of the Nuns of the Order of Preachers of the United States. which organizes monastic study weeks and publishes Dominican Monastic Search to promote contemplative life.
SPOKANE, WA--Dominican Sisters who had come from Speyer, Germany in 1925 to serve in the northwestern states became the American congregation of Spokane, Washington in 1985. [The Spokane Dominicans merged with the Sinsinawa Dominicans in 1995.]
In 1995 the Dominican Sisters of Hope was established when three separate Dominican congregations merged, following years of collaboration since 1981: The Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena of Fall River, Massachusetts; Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary of Newburgh, New York; and Dominican Sisters of the Sick Poor of the Immaculate Conception of Ossining, New York.
The traditional Dominican shield in a circular version forms the basic concept for the congregation's logo. It suggests light, earth, movement, inclusivity. The stylized leaf images
new life, the result of the new foundation which flows from the history and tradition of the former congregations. Each of the three former congregations had historical connections to a river, and the river image was very meaningful in the founding ritual. The flow of water in a river image, and the new life that emerges from it, offer an image that defines the uniqueness of the Dominican Sisters of Hope.
Duane was a gifted musician and in 1996 with two other Dominican brothers, Martin Gleeson and John Pitzer, and a member of the Columbus Dominican Sisters, formed a musical-preaching group named Veritas. In January of 1997 Duane was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL), and shortly before his death on Novemeber 4 that
same year, he completed a CD entitled Tell the Story.
ANN ARBOR, MI--In 1996 Pope John Paul II's summons for the 'new
evangelization' inspired four Dominican women religious to undertake a new initiative calling themselves the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. On February 9, 1997, John Cardinal O'Connor recognized their wish to develop a devotional form of consecrated
life and established them as a Public Association of Christ's Faithful in the Archdiocese of New York. The founding members were Mother Assumpta Long, Sister Joseph Andrew Bogdanowicz, Sister Mary Samuel Handwerker, and Sister John Dominic Rasmussen.
The Federation of Dominican Sisters USA was founded May 15, 1999 to be "a dynamic union that promotes among its members mutual collaboration for the preaching mission." Two years later, in April 2002, more than 400 Dominican women representing 24 congregations and thousands of Dominican Sisters and Associates throughout the United States came together in St. Louis, Missouri for the first National Convocation of the Federation of Dominican Sisters USA.
The first of three VERITAS delegations of Dominican religious traveled to Iraq in
1999 to comfort the suffering Iraqi people, to learn firsthand the effects of the U.N.-imposed economic sanctions on the country and to boldly call for an end to the U.S.-supported punishment of the Iraqi people through those economic sanctions. The Dominicans have taken this stand primarily to protect the God-given, human rights of every person.
At the close of the twentieth century Dominican women and men continue to come from other nations to minister to people of the United States. The following list shows the nation and Dominican group from which they come, and the location of their provincial or regional headquarters in the United States. Click Here to view these missions.
ST. CATHARINE, KY--The Dominican Sisters of St. Catharine, founded in 1822, joined the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth and the Sisters of Loretto, both founded in 1812, in a public act of contrition for their use of slaves. They invited African-Americans to participate in the ceremony.
Publisher: Editions du Signe, 1, Rue Alfred Kastler, 0700838 Strasbourg Cedex 2, France. You may order from: Project OPUS, 5082 W. Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60644 tel: 773-921-2538