1939 St. Albert the Great Province Established
On the eve of World War II the friars of St. Joseph Province had grown in membership and expanded geographically from
the Atlantic coast to the Gulf of Mexico and the Rocky Mountains. The Master of the Order, Martin Gillet, OP, proposed the formation of a new province of friars which, with headquarters in Chicago, was established in 1939, taking the title of St. Albert the Great.
Photo of the ceremony which launched the province of St. Albert the
Great on December 22, 1939. Humbert Kane, OP is the friar in the the middle. Others are prostrate on the floor making the "venia" as the papers were being read. This is the ceremony which launched the province of St. Albert the Great.
Friars of the three American provinces served as chaplains for the armed forces in World War II. During and after the war they served increasing numbers of Catholics who moved to the cities and required new or expanded parishes. American provinces of the friars took part in the post-war period in promoting the study of theology among the laity by means of Thomist Associations, regional study groups, and courses in
theology in colleges for women and men throughout the country.
1940's Four More Monasteries Formed
In the decade of the 1940's four monasteries of nuns were formed from existing foundations: Elmira, NY from Buffalo; Lufkin Texas from Farmington Hills, MI; and North Guilford, Connecticut from Summit, New Jersey. The fourth foundation, from Catonsville, Maryland, brought an interracial, inter-cultural monastery to Marbury, Alabama.
1940's Dominican Life at St. Rose Priory, Kentucky
Click on Photo to View a Larger Photo
The Dominican community in the refectory of the old brick priory at St. Rose Priory.
The prior's table is at the far left, and the subprior's table is at the far right. The laybrothers, whom we now call cooperator brothers, are the ones wearing black scapulars and capuces. The student brothers and novices sat in order of religion, that is, according to when they received the habit or professed their vows. The shield on the left represents the Order of Friars Preachers and its banner proclaims
the motto: to praise, to bless, to preach. The shield on the right includes the carpenter's square and lillies for the Province of Saint Joseph.
Click on Photo to View a Larger Photo
This photograph shows the old part of the church when it was used as the friars chapel. The brethren were reciting the Liturgy of the Hours. The pews in the friars chapel today come from here. Where this high altar once stood, there is now a wood-carving of the Last Supper.
1940's Dominican Schools Continue to Expand
The same decade of the 1940's was marked by the initial conferral of bachelor's degrees in five Dominican institutions of higher education; Aquinas Institute of Theology, sponsored by the Province of St. Albert the Great, in 1941; and in 1942 three
institutions: Aquinas College, founded by the Grand Rapids Dominicans; Barry College, founded by the Adrian Sisters, and Edgewood College founded by the Sinsinawa Dominicans. The fifth institution granting first degrees that year was Caldwell College, sponsored by the Caldwell Sisters. In 1959 degrees were granted by the Dominican College of Blauvelt, founded by the Blauvelt Sisters. In 1961 the Nashville Dominicans granted associate degrees earned at Aquinas Junior College.
1950 Oxford Dominican Sisters
OXFORD, MI--During the 1950's two communities of Dominican Sisters became independent of their European motherhouses. One whose members came originally from Czechoslovakia to Pennsylvania in 1923 became the congregation of Oxford, Michigan, in 1950, under the leadership of
Mary Joseph Gazda.
1951 St. Rose Priory in Dubuque Built
During the Provincialate of Fr. Edward Hughes the Central Province moved their novitiate to
Winona, MN and a very large priory was built in Dubuque in 1951. One of the reasons the theology school was moved there was to supply a faculty for the diocesan seminarians of Iowa, whose residents were at Mt. St. Bernard in Dubuque. The House of Studies in River Forest still had the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy but the theological studies were now in Dubuque.
1952 Kenosha Dominican Sisters
KENOSHA, WI--The second group, from an Irish community in Lisbon, Portugal, became in 1952 the Dominican congregation of Kenosha, Wisconsin, with Mary Vincent Mullins as their major superior.
1954 Vocation Brochure Published by Central Province
RIVER FOREST, IL--Click here to view 22-page booklet and its photos.
1954, 1957 Two New Communities Established
In the same decade two new communities were
established for ministries other than education or health care. The Marian Dominican Catechists of Boyce, Louisiana were founded in 1954 by Bishop Charles Greco to serve in the diocese of Alexandria, Louisiana.
Another Louisiana foundation, the Eucharistic Missionaries, had been established for catechetics and related ministries in 1927 by Catherine Bostick and Margaret Grouchy. Thirty years later they were affiliated to the Order of Preachers.